Home Somerset business Road to the past | West Somerset Free Press

Road to the past | West Somerset Free Press

2
0

150 years ago – October 21, 1871

* The Royal Mail coach had interrupted his journey from Minehead to Lynton.

* Eleven horses and seven oxen got lost on the railroad tracks at Torweston, near Williton, because a door was left open. One of the horses was struck by an engine and injured.

* Six turkeys were killed near Wiveliscombe by a Devon and Somerset Railway locomotive.

* The Dulverton Working Men’s Book Club was open for the winter season. It owes much of its amenities to the generosity of Mr. JA Locke of Northmoor.

100 years ago – October 21, 1921

* Allegations that traders in Minehead overcharged and damaged the town’s reputation with visitors were discussed by City Council. Miss Parry, a board member, had been a leading figure in filing complaints.

* Dulverton Carnival attractions, spread over three days, included a football match between women and men over 50. It was won by men: 3-1.

* Williton DRC has allocated £ 1,200 for unemployment relief through road improvements. Much would be devoted to removing dangerous bends in the Stogursey area.

* The death occurred of Mr. William Henry Chanin, 63 years old, of MM. WH Chanin & Co, The Parade, Minehead. A founding member of the Minehead Tradesmen’s Association, he had developed a large business of florists and greengrocers.

50 years ago – October 23, 1971

* Under the headline “Residents of West Somerset Mourn Their Friend Friend, Lord St Audries”, the Free Press reported with deep regret the death of Alexander Peregrine Fuller-Acland-Hood, Baron St Audries, of Fairfield, Stogursey.

* Vicar of Dunster, the Reverend Christopher Alderson officiated at a double funeral, that of Mrs. Cicely Elizabeth (Betty) Dibble and her son, Philip Andrew Dibble, 24, who died within days of each other.

* An arts center, museum, vacation apartments and boating lake were among the amenities Minehead City Council had in mind for the redevelopment of the station district.

add a comment


Source link