Fast recording: Earnin aims to give consumers access to their earned salary without having to wait for payday. It gives employees from a wide variety of industries real-time access to what they’ve earned. To use the service, you need three things: a steady paycheck, a checking account, and a smartphone.
- loan amount
How did we calculate that?
- Provides quick access to available earnings
- No penalties or interest
- No mandatory fees
- Low daily and pay period maximums
According to his website, Earnin “was born out of a clear need to change a financial system that is leaving millions behind.” With Earnin, you can cash out up to $100 per day and Earnin will collect it (plus any tips you leave) on your payday. Use Earnin and you won’t have to pay any interest, mandatory fees or costs. Instead, the company relies on its customers to tip what they think is fair when using the app.
Key Features of Earnin
Here’s a look at the features to consider to decide if Earnin suits your needs.
You start with a maximum of $100 that you can cash out per pay period, but as you use the app — and pay back what you borrowed — you can increase that to as much as $500. All members have a maximum withdrawal of $100 per day. Again, you are obligated to pay back only what you borrowed.
Earnin charges no interest or mandatory fees – and the app is 100% free to use. Members are asked to leave a tip they deem fair in order to receive their money early.
The Earnin Express feature allows members to potentially access a higher pay period of a maximum of $1,000 or up to 80%. from their paycheck, whichever is less. Additionally, you can get paid early by routing your paychecks through the company. When you use Earnin Express, Earnin deducts your payouts and tips from the check you pass through and sends whatever’s left over to your linked bank account via the lightning speed feature, getting your money in minutes instead of days.
When you sign up for the Balance Shield Cash Outs feature and your bank account falls below a certain amount, Earnin will automatically wire you up to $100.
Earnin also protects its customers through the use of data encryption technology that ensures users’ account information remains private and secure.
How Earnin stands out
Earnin offers users quick access to their money, in some cases within minutes of requesting it (if you sign up for the Lightning Speed program). It’s easy to use and customers can check their earnings on the app’s dashboard and set up updates they want to receive notifications for. It’s a great alternative to a predatory payday loan.
Here’s a look at alternatives you might consider to help you decide if Earnin or another option is best for you.
Dave allows you to receive your paycheck up to two days early and receive an interest-free cash advance of up to $500. With the Dave Spending account, you never pay overdraft, minimum balance, or ATM fees (you must use one of the 32,000 MoneyPass ATMs). Another feature Dave offers is the option to receive notifications when you are about to overdraw your account. However, Dave is not entirely free; it charges a monthly membership fee of $1.
Branch works with some employers to allow employees to take up to 50% of their pay early. You can wait three days and not pay any fee or pay for faster delivery. CashFlow is the app overview of your upcoming payments and expenses that allows you to monitor your finances and sends you a low balance alert when you overdraw your account.
How to use Earnin
It’s an easy-to-use platform: once you’ve downloaded the app, you simply connect to your checking account and add your employment information so the company knows when you’re getting paid. Then add your earnings to the app via the Automagic Earnings feature by submitting an electronic timesheet or signing in with your business email address.
The Earnin website details how to use the app in three steps:
- Navigate to the Earnin app home screen.
- Tap on the “CASH OUT” button once you have verified that you have funds in your account and you have not yet reached your daily or pay period maximum.
- Wait for the money to be in your account within 2-3 business days.
Who Earnin is best suited for
Earnin works when you have a regular pay schedule, and it’s best for workers who are paid by the hour and want to avoid fees and a costly cash advance. However, if you don’t have a regular payment deadline, you should look elsewhere.
When you’re out of money but know you’re getting paid, borrowing that future paycheck with Earnin is a pretty good deal. It’s completely free and easy to do, and it doesn’t take advantage of you by charging high interest rates and fees like payday loans.
Frequently asked questions about earning
Here are the answers to some common questions about Earnin.
- What’s the catch with Earnin?
- Only certain types of workers can use Earnin: on-demand, salaried, or hourly. That said, if you’re a freelancer, it’s not for you. Additionally, you must receive your paycheck via direct deposit in order to use Earnin since it needs to track your hours worked.
- Earnin giving you $100?
- If you ask for a $100 cashout, that’s exactly what you get – unless you add an optional tip. Earnin deducts that $100 (plus any tip you leave) as soon as you get paid. Quickly get your hard-earned money straight into your bank account before payday.
- Is Earnin a Payday Loan?
- Earnin is not a payday loan. Unlike payday loans, which charge very high interest rates and fees, there are no mandatory fees or interest charged. Instead, Earnin asks members to leave tips they think are fair to get early access to their money.
- Is Earnin Legit?
- Yes, Earnin is absolutely a legitimate app. While it may seem odd that you can use it for free, the company makes money through a variety of avenues and tips from customers who want to pass it on.
Information is correct as of July 12, 2022.
Editor’s Note: This content is not provided by Earnin. Any opinion, analysis, review, rating, or recommendation expressed in this article is solely that of the author and has not been reviewed, approved, or otherwise endorsed by Earnin.